Here are some best practices that will help your business blog succeed.
1. Know why are you in business – Clarity about your purpose, your goals, your ideal client and how you transform people’s lives will help guide all your marketing messages on your business blog and various social networking sites.
2. Have a blog for your business - It’s your online real estate and the hub of all your social marketing. You own it and control the content, the look and its navigation. You do NOT control Facebook, Twitter or any other social networking site so you must have your own domain and site on the web.
3. Keep search engine optimization in mind – know your keywords – but don’t get obsessed. Write for your readers first, the search engines second.
4. Find a optimal posting schedule that works for you – The more you post on your blog, the more traffic you’ll attract. But more than frequency, focus on posting quality content consistently and constantly.
5. Keep the Four E’s in mind when writing your blog posts: Educate, Entertain, Engage and Enrich. Here’ are a few example of blogs that educates, entertain, engage and well as enrich – Dare It, Don’t Diet: 15 pounds in15 days, Long Island Entrepreneurs, 516Ads.com Blog and Balance and Power Blog.
6. Re-purpose your blog content in multiple formats like audio and video in order to leverage your time and extend your reach on the web. Your audience likes to consume content in multiple ways so give them choices.
7. Automate syndication of your blog posts to your social profiles. For example have your blog automatically post to your Facebook profile through the application Networked Blogs.
8. Give your blog readers the tools to amplify your message to their own communities. Have a retweet/tweet buttons, Facebook Like button, Digg, Stumbleupon and other relevant social sharing buttons on your blog posts.
Do you have some business blogging do’s and don’ts you’d like to add? If so, submit them in the comments section and I will include them in my article. Blog on!